23 October 2008

We the Slaves

One of the best points Marx makes, especially in light of our modern economic crisis, is that the current ruling class is 'unfit to rule because it is incompetent to assure an existence to its slave within his slavery.' Every man deserves a chance to earn his own bread, and not have to exist on the handouts of those more fortunate than he. The other point of his that resonates with me is that 'In proportion, ..., as the repulsiveness of the work increases, the wage decreases.' This is one that I have experience with.
Summer after sophomore year, I worked at Williamstown Theatre Festival. They have a reputation for doing good work and teaching their carpenters a lot. Also known as three days off over a span of eleven weeks and working no less than ten hours a day. Generally fourteen. Sixteen for three weeks in a row. I made an average of one dollar per hour. The running joke was that children in Bangladesh were making more than the carpenters at Williamstown. And I learned my lesson. I know what I'm worth now. I also know that had I not spent the time at Williamstown, I would not be the craftsman I am now. Only in a place where the contract is not made for me can I leave because of poor working conditions. And because of the poor working conditions at Williamstown, the talent of people going there to work is decreasing. In a capitalist society, you can vote with your dollars. You can vote with your labour.