01 October 2008

The Shadow Politics: Economics

According to our dear mentor Milton Friedman, a truly free market allows a truly free populace. Government exists to protect people from coercion. Every interaction and contract is voluntary. And from this tenet, I shall lay out a number of my arguments for a number of circumstances.

The idea that every interaction and contract is voluntary gives the in every circumstance to every individual. If the circumstance is disagreeable for any reason, either party can simply walk away. All a person has to do is decide that he no longer desires to partake in an exchange, and it's over. There is no obligation to anyone else or anything besides the individual. [Bless Ayn Rand for bringing me to this realization] If I make a contract with you, and it goes poorly for me but I do nothing to get away, I have no one to blame but myself.

Wait, the critics say, what if the person keeps you in the contract by threatening you with a gun? As Friedman says, 'the fundamental threat to freedom is power to coerce'. [Find here my nod to the second amendment and my editorial comment that this amendment is a way to keep oneself from being coerced, so purchase, carry, and know how to effectively use a weapon propelled by gunpowder] The Second Amendment grants us Americans the right, and duty, to protect ourselves from coercion. Thereby the government has become self limiting, giving me, as a citizen and freeman, more freedom.

However, freedom can only be preserved for 'people who are willing to practice self-denial, for otherwise freedom degenerates into license and irresponsibility.' So, now I have a gun. That means that instead of being the one coerced, I can do the coercion. Not so fast now y'all, having freed myself from coercion, I should now know it's evils, and disdain to visit them upon others.

Apparently by a number, I meant two. Please forgive my lack of cohesiveness as whatever filter makes inner dialogue understandable to persons outside of my brain is malfunctioning as of late. These blogs, since they are ?supposed to be collecting my gut reaction?, make sense to me in that when I revisit, I shall have some sense of what profundities traversed my neurons while I read, but ergo will not be horribly useful to my audience.